close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Magazines

We have fresh issues of three of our most popular knitting magazines on the table this week.
Knitting Traditions has become a collectible for the historical knitting and fiber-related articles, an interesting cultural perspective on the fiber arts, and spot-on reinterpretations of vintage patterns into modern terms and materials.

Knitscene has become one of my favorites for the fresh, modern designs, on-trend styling, and excellent yarn choices.  The designers are creating wearable and trendy items in yarns we know and love.

Knit.wear is always a hit, and has become a collectible for me, too.  I don't even look too closely at what's in each issue, because I know I will love something.  I even find myself flipping through past issues for inspiration.

Let's start with Knitting Traditions, shall we?  The articles alone would make any traditional knitter happy, but the sweet patterns are pretty hard to resist, too.  Take a look at the Jack Frost Baby Cardigan.
The pattern calls for Malabrigo Worsted, but I would highly recommend Manos del Uruguay Maxima.  I'm using it for a cowl right now, and it is buttery soft.  We have some lovely muted colors, but maybe a bright neon yellow for some trendy baby?

Olga's Learning Socks are knit at a tiny gauge with some intricate Latvian colorwork.  The accompanying article is really cool, too.
These Nordic Mittens for Baby are adorable.  Do you have a baby entering your life any time soon?  A little bit of fingering weight yarn in some nice contrasting colors and a few hours of knitting, and you have yourself quite the heirloom.
The red and white (and black) are repeated in the Ancient Riga Mittens.  These are worked in Jamieson's Spindrift, which we have at the shop.  The Rowan Fine Tweed should work, too.  The more I look at these, the more I love them.
The pattern for the Groenlo Mittens is thought to be hundreds of years old, and the blue and white reminds me of the Delft plates and cups of my childhood.  These are knit with worsted weight yarn, so they would be done in no time.
Finally, the Aran-Stitch Vest caught my eye. I love the unusual combination of the cabled panels and the vertical garter stitch side shaping.  I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.  This one is designed in worsted weight,and we have so many great options at the shop.
This is just a smattering of what is in this issue.  There are sweaters, lace scarves, many socks, bags, and at least one angora tam.  The family stories and historical articles really make this one a true collectible.  These issues tend to go quickly, so swing by if you are into the Knitting Traditions.

Next time, Knitscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment