close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Summer? Really?

So, I'm pretty sure this AMAZING weather is still a little teaser, but the cool evenings and gorgeous days have me thinking about my summer knitting plans.  Might as well get knitting before the real summer starts so I'm prepared.  And then I'll be occupied when the rain sneaks back into the forecast over the next few months.

Sally was thinking about summer knitting way back in the fall when she ordered many lovely summer yarns.  My surprise favorite is Berroco Weekend DK, an acrylic/cotton blend with a sproingy texture.  I am normally not an acrylic-lover, but Berroco seems to know what they are doing with it.
The colors caught my eye, the feel of the yarn got me thinking, and the sample that Ann knit sealed the deal.
I have begun thinking about kiddo sweaters, but this yarn is great for grown-person-sized stuff, too.  I think each and every one of us needs at least a few easy-care cotton cardigans or comfy pullovers for this summer.

As an added bonus, this yarn is a screaming deal.  Each plump skein contains 268 yards for just $6.75.  I know.  This appears to be a new yarn this summer, so there aren't too many patterns available from Berroco.  But I have ideas!

How about a Summer Solstice from Heidi Kirrmaier?
Photo from Heidi Kirrmaier's Ravelry shop.
Or a Basic Black from GlennaC?  It's a freebie!
Photo from the Knitting to Stay Sane Ravelry shop.
The Spring Garden Tee is lovely.  (Psst, there's a kid version, too).
Photo from Never Not Knitting Ravelry page.
I have my sights set on a Roxy pullover for my daughter from the fabulous Rowan Kids.
Photo from Rowan website.
The Weekend DK is a little thinner that what the pattern calls for, so I'll just knit the largest size and hope for the best.  It will fit her soon enough, since this sun is making her grow like a weed.

Come in and tell me what you think of the Weekend DK!

No comments:

Post a Comment