close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Summer Knitscene

The summer issue of Knitscene is in the shop.  Summer is always a little dicey when it comes to a whole magazine's worth of designs, but I think there are several items in here that are cool and wearable.
The designer spotlight focuses on the work of Grace Akhrem, and she shows some cool, architectural stuff in this spread.  The Kaweah Tunic, above, has some fun pockets and an interesting hem.  It's done in sock yarn, and it would be great in something with drape like Cascade Heritage Silk.
The Morro Tank is worked in Shibui Staccato, and the asymmetry and colorblocking are really modern and cool.  The Tuolumne Tank, below, has a similar feel, but it worked up in a flowy linen.
These two are some of my favorites in the issue.  I love the big weird spot on the Helium Sweater, and the back shaping is really unusual, too.
I would probably skip that little i-cord tie at the bottom of the Argon Tee, but I love the pop of color at the shoulder.  I would need to find matching earrings, though.
These little shorty mitts are total winners.  Great gift idea, too.  I've been looking for a reason to take home some bright yellow Fyberspates Vivacious DK.  Perhaps I have found it.
The Radon Pullover is a show stopper, dontcha' think?  It was written for Tosh Sock, but Shibui Staccato is on the shelves and available in some bright and crazy colors.
I think the Stoxa Tank is kind of cute.  Again, done in a sock yarn.  I would look at Rowan Siena 4 Ply for this.  It's a crisp fingering weight cotton that would look nice in the lace and reverse stockinette.
The Lea Pullover looks like a goddess top to me...so regal.  We have a great selection of Classic Elite Firefly on the shelves right now, too.
Amy Christoffer's Bokeh Tank uses Shibui Linen and Silk Cloud held together to create a luscious fabric.  There's the tiniest bit of lace detail, too, to keep things interesting.
I can't quite figure out the Gambeson Tunic.  The pattern schematic shows it as a rectangle, but there is obviously some interesting short row shaping and textural stuff going on with this.
And last, but not least, the Linum Tee (aka Will Be Mine).  I think this is really beautiful, and I can't wait to work it up in Shibui Linen.
I love the asymmetry at the front neckline with the fisherman's rib.  The back is really nice, too.
I was looking forward to trying out a flashy bright Shibui color, but then I walked away with three skeins of Field, basically the exact same color as the sample.  The army green was too good to pass up.

I guess this issue had more good stuff than I thought!  What caught your eye?

No comments:

Post a Comment