close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Friday, July 20, 2018

Not Socks

So we have a lot of sock yarn. The shop is full of beautiful hand-dyed yarn that is perfect for socks. But what if you don't know how to knit socks? Well, you can take a sock class! We have one happening right now, but there will be more on the calendar soon.

What if you have no desire to knit socks? There are other options for this gorgeous stuff! Lots of people knit shawls and wraps. So many options out there. 
Pic borrowed from Rav pattern page.
The Find Your Fade is so popular. I love the stripey Terre et Mer.
Pic borrowed from Rav pattern page.

Did you know you can knit fabulous hats in sock yarn, too? We have this awesome Midas Hat in the shop now. It was knit with Highland Bling, but you can use pretty much any sock yarn for a project like this. I have made the Bristol Hat as few times, although the textured pattern would be best in a solid or semi-solid colorway.
My personal favorite? Baby sweaters. 
I love the Gry's Jacket from All You Knit is Love, but I also adore the classic Baby Surprise Jacket. I have made several over the years.
I am almost finished with this one for a beloved teacher friend, just need a few little buttons. This pattern is really unusual, and the size you make mostly depends on your gauge. Sock yarn typically makes a perfect newborn size, just right for those first several weeks when everything seems too big and overwhelming for a tiny body.

What do you all like to make? Tell me about your favorite patterns for these beautiful hand-dyed yarns!

1 comment: