close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Self-Patterning Socks

There are those folks in the world who love a handknit sock in self-patterning yarn. My mother is one of those people. She herself no longer knits, so I am tasked with knitting (and repairing) her favorite socks. While I have PLENTY of sock yarn waiting to become socks, I am giving in to temptation and taking a few balls of this new yarn home with me.
The colors were designed by these two fabulously off-the-wall dudes from Norway, Arne and Carlos. Their books and designs are really something to see, and I love the color combinations they are using for this line from Regia. I've knit with Regia sock yarn several times, and I can tell you that it holds up to some serious wear. If you are going to put all that energy into knitting socks, it pays to use the sturdy stuff.
Plus, self-patterning sock yarn is kind of magical. You will easily impress anyone and everyone who sees you working with it. The pattern emerges as you knit, and it doesn't really matter how many stitches you are using. It pretty much always looks cool. I often use a coordinating solid color for the toes and heels, but you certainly don't need to. This kind of yarn is also ideal for baby sweaters and pants, thanks to its durability in the wash and fun colors. I, of course, will be making mom socks with this. What sounds fun to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment