close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Is It Here Yet?

It's here!  We have been not-so-patiently waiting for this beautiful yarn.
Say hello to Heirloom Romney from Fancy Tiger Crafts, a very cool craft shop/movement in Denver.  I visited their spot several years ago, and I really enjoyed their well-stocked fabric and yarn store and beautiful space.  They have obviously been expanding and improving, and the addition of their signature yarn is the latest.  
Heirloom Romney is raised, milled, and dyed in the United States, which makes it pretty cool to begin with.  The gorgeous colors are the work of Jeane deCoster of Elemental Affects, whose work we have been enjoying in the shop since last fall.  Heirloom is rustic and sheepy, and it will hold up to lots of wear and love.  Garments made from this yarn will be passed down for generations.
Each skein contains 200 yards of heavy worsted yarn with some lovely bounce and loft.  It is not as heavy as I was expecting, and I think it's pretty soft.  The Fancy Tiger gals promise us that it softens up even more with a good wash.
The smart gals at Fancy Tiger have also developed some very cool patterns to show off their yarn, and we have several at the shop, too.  We have The Imposter's Shawl, which knits up quickly with just two skeins.
 
The Quandry Peak Mittens are so pretty.  It's nice to see a version with the light as the dominant color and one with the dark...just two skeins for a pair.
 
I'm planning a pair of Kilgore Mitts for myself.  I just need to pick a color.  And decide on mittens or fingerless mitts.  Either way, a pair is just one skein.
My Favorite Sweater would be so cozy and sturdy in the Heirloom, and you would wear it every day.  Knit up in Heirloom, it would last forever.
Who doesn't need an Army of Caterpillars?  I'm pretty sure I do.  I'm pretty sure you do, too.
Of course, the Heirloom Chevron Throw is my favorite.  It's a freebie, and you can make a large version with two skeins each of six colors.  They tell us that just one skein of each color makes a nice lap blanket, too.
Photo from the Fancy Tiger Crafts Ravelry Shop
We have just a few skeins of each stunning color at the shop right now.  We wanted to check it out and see how you all like it.  I love it, and I can't wait to pop in tomorrow and pick out a pretty color for my Kilgore Mitts.  Please come by and let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment