close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Saturday, May 5, 2012

September Circle in May


I finished my lace cowl, and now I want to knit everything out of Kauni.  It's a sickness, but I'm okay with it.


The pattern is September Circle by Melissa LeBarre, and it's available on Ravelry.  If you have an inkling to try lace, this is a great first lace pattern.  


The lace pattern repeat is only twelve stitches wide and only five rows involve actual lace knitting, so hopefully you won't get overwhelmed on the first go.  Seriously, more than half of the rounds are just plain ol' knitting and purling.


You can, of course, knit this with any fingering or sport weight yarn, but the slow color change of the Kauni adds so much impact to such a simple pattern.  The Kauni is put up in balls of different weights, so the yardage varies from ball to ball.  I weighed mine, and I used about 80 grams (or about 350 yards).  My skein was about 130 grams when I started, so there would have been plenty of yarn had a chosen to make my cowl larger.  If you can find a 160 gram ball of Kauni, you could get two cowls!


The colors of the Kauni are really stunning, and we have these great swatches to help you appreciate how the color will change over the course of the whole ball.  The company is also kind enough to allow us to order just one or two balls of a given color, so we can easily special order whichever colorway you little heart desires.


My heart now desires a sweater made with Kauni, I'm thinking the Silver Spring Pullover.  There are over 7,000 projects on Ravelry using this lovely yarn, including hundreds of sweaters, hundreds of hats, and more than 2,000 shawls.  I am clearly not alone in my new affliction.  Won't you join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment