close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Best. Knitting. Book. Ever.


Back in 1994, when I was learning to knit, I was lucky enough to learn from Susan Lupton, a wise woman at Village Wools, a wonderful, cooperatively-owned fiber shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Susan taught me to knit, helped me with my first sweater and introduced me to sock knitting. But, one of the best gifts that Susan gave me was introducing me to the bible of all knitting books, Vogue Knitting.
I was fresh out of college at the time, and with all the knitting classes and Rowan yarn and Addi Turbos, the book's price tag seemed a bit extravagant. So, I checked it out of the public library. Then renewed it. And renewed it again. And again. Until, finally, it began to feel a bit ridiculous. So, I parted with thirty-five dollars for the knitting tome. And, I never, ever regretted it.
Vogue Knitting is an exhaustive reference on practical knitting skills. It is a heavy, hardbound book that contains every skill that the handknitter needs to know - from casting on to designing one's own garments. There is information on knitting tools, commonly used abbreviations, reading charts, fair isle and intarsia, increases and decreases, special techniques like creating fringe or i-cord or pompoms, blocking and assembling and finishing. And that is only the beginning.
Yes, I know that there's the internet, with knittinghelp.com and video tutorials on youtube and countless other resources on the web. And, though I use these resources too, I find Vogue Knitting to be the most consistently helpful source of knitting information.
My well-worn copy has lost its dust jacket, the binding is loose and the cover is faded from the sun. It's been on camping trips, on airplanes, and in my school bag. It is one of my treasured possessions. So, when Close Knit customers ask for a comprehensive knitting reference, I don't hesitate. Vogue Knitting. Best thirty-five dollars I ever spent.

4 comments:

  1. Third! I've had mine since some time in the 1980's, but I'm not sure when...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of this book. Good to know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking at it and looking at it, and the price has always made me hesitate. Thank you for the post, I will get it now. :)

    ReplyDelete