close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Saturday, January 19, 2013

Knitscene Spring 2013

I've been waiting for this since I saw the cover sweater.  The Spring 2013 Knitscene is here!
The folks at Knitscene continue to do such a nice job of staying modern and finding designs that are interesting to knit and quite wearable.  Spring issues can often be a little frightening, but this one has several really lovely designs.  Let's take a look!
The first section, Working It Out, features several accessories by designer Catherine Shields.  This cute little Chinook Hat would be great in Jamieson's Spindrift or the Elemental Affects we have right now.  What an unexpected way to play with color.
The Morning Glory Tam and Mitts make an elegant set, don't they?  What a lovely gift.  Perfect in Cascade 220 Sport Superwash or Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino...so soft and easy to care for.
On the Mezzanine features some beautiful flapper-inspired pieces.  The Biarritz Cloche is totally out of my comfort zone (of knitting and wearing), but I am loving it.  Knit with two colors of fingering weight yarn, the herringbone stitch takes on such an interesting dimension.  The knitted fabric will be dense and feel like woven fabric, ideal for this kind of fitted hat.  I would go to the sock yarn wall to find the right thing.  Or maybe the new Shibui Staccato or Isager Alpaca 2.  All the right weights, but the effects would be different with color choices and fiber content, obviously.
These two sweater dress/tunic pieces are quite the commitments.  They are really stunning, though, aren't they?  The Patou Tunic is above and the Grenadine Tunic below.
The bias section is my favorite.  Love these Caution Mitts.  Check out the thumb.  Everything lines up!
The Lightning Shrug starts out as a rectangle, believe it our not.  So elegant and casual.
The Rockfall Sweater (above) and the Salacia Cardigan (below) look so wearable, too.  The lace yoke on the pullover is asymmetrical, and the back of the cardigan comes together at the same angles as the front.
The Arc-en-Ciel Pullover is my favorite.
Knit with Noro Taiyo Sock, the biasing becomes very obvious.  The extra long sleeves, unusual neckline, and boxy shape are all calling to me.
The final story in the magazine is Pretty Tough, and the knits are pretty for sure.

The Sorority Shawl is lovely, and the Humboldt Raglan looks great.  I am working on a similar pullover with the lace panel up the front, and now I think I might need another.  This one was designed with Cascade 220 Sport, which is one of the most economical yarns we carry.  I could make this for about $35!

Finally, the Edelweiss Cardigan is just nothing but sweet.  It's another sock yarn sweater, and I think the Scrumptious 4ply Sport would be amazing.

That is a lot of good stuff for an $8 magazine, and I haven't even shown you everything.  Come take a look!

1 comment:

  1. I wanna make that last lace panel sweater in cascade 220...itll cost me abit more than you, though, Leah..i need four panels of lace instead of tjree,but the good news os that I have enough 220 stashed to make it! Ill post pix when im done...thx to the sunday closeknit staff who all helped me gather all my wool needs last week btw..
    nikki

    ReplyDelete