close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Saturday, January 11, 2020

The Red Things

It would seem that January is the month I will knit red things.

I have begun to knit Childhood. I am going to be at it for a while. The neck is knit on US1.5 needles, which I miraculously had on hand over the holidays. The rest of it is knit on US3s. At first glance, it seems like a very simple sweater, but this designer always incorporates some really cool and unusual construction techniques which make the process more interesting. Needless to say, once I finish this neck ribbing, I will need to pay attention for a bit.


I originally fell in love with some pretty cherry red Cestari Fingering yarn, but the color was just not quite right that close to my face. (I might go back for a different shade.) This gorgeous Harrisville Shetland captured my heart once I started shifting my attention away from the Cestari. My most stylish and color-minded friend joined me to make this decision, and we agreed that this slightly tweedy red would be just the right thing. There is so much stockinette, and the tweed really helps make it more sophisticated.

On New Year's Day, I had a need for a nerdy vest and some instant gratification, so I bought this Calidez Vest pattern and cast on with a pile of bulky yarn from my stash. While this is probably not my perfect red, I love it anyhow. The yarn has some subtle purpley heathered bits, and it's nice and warm. I would suggest Ultra Alpaca Chunky for a close match.


I knit the whole body of the vest in 3 days while recovering from a nasty cold, and I'm picking up armholes and button bands this weekend. I am looking forward to finishing this up and blocking it this week!

What red thing will I cast on next? A hat? Some socks? Apparently it must be red this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment