close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Thursday, May 30, 2019

Wool Sweaters Done Just in Time for Summer

Well, I am really good at finishing up wool sweaters as the weather warms up.
I have been working on my Flaum for more than three years, and I am thrilled be wearing it a few times before the weather turns warm. This one is from Amirisu and knit up in Cascade 220 with a bit of mystery dark grey for the last inch of ribbing and tubular cast off. I learned some new tricks with this one, friends.

I had never tried Fisherman's rib, and I love it! It is a little like brioche but easier to repair when I made mistakes. I did, however, snag it the first day I wore it, so look out for sharp edges with this stitch. Good thing I know how to fix that sort of thing.
I also learned how to do a tubular bind off without having to separate all the knit and purl stitches onto separate needles. This new method still takes a long time, but the finished results are well worth the time.
I started my Felix in March, so I don't feel quite so silly finishing it up in the summer. Again with the tubular cast on and bind off on this one. It is so light and lofty. The designers compares it to the weight and warmth of a down jacket, and she is spot on.
I'm finishing up the first sleeve tonight and about to embark on the second. On a US10, this lovely Lopi knits up in no time at all.

I will wash these two and then pop them in the freezer for a few days to make sure I won't have any moth holes in the fall when I unpack these new friends. Maybe then I will cast on something for summer that should be finished right around October.

No comments:

Post a Comment