close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Travel Projects

Right before I departed for the Memorial Day weekend, I was scrambling about in a mad rush trying to find a good travel project... something small and packable involving minimal equipment, easy-to-memorize instructions, no swatching, and very little planning. This time, I ended up with a hat. But I know this won't be the last mad scramble for a suitable project. So, I want to arm you all (and myself) with some ideas. Since it was a hat that saved my day, let's start with a good hat project.

Did you all know that we have started listing some of our best-loved patterns for sale on Ravelry? Most of them are small, one-or-two-skein projects that will totally fit the bill for a travel project. Melissa's Snowed In Slouch Hat is a great place to start. It's knit with Berroco North Star, a bulky chained alpaca yarn that is as soft as fluffy clouds.
You'll need a few circular needles, US7 and US11, and some double-points for the top. (I do not consider DPNs good travel companions, so I would probably save that part until I returned home. But that's just me. Same goes for the pom pom.) For me, this sweet slouchy hat fits the bill for a perfect travel project: small, two balls of yarn, only two circular needles, and easily-memorized instructions. Perfect.

We even have a lovely supply of little project bags in the shop for you to keep it all safe and contained in your bag.
Whether you are traveling far and wide this summer, or just need a nice easy project for a trip to the park or a sit-down in the garden, the Snowed In Slouch might be just the thing!

Stay tuned for more ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment