close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Sunday, December 29, 2013

Here We Are

Hi friends!  Sorry about that inadvertent blog break there.  I was busy knitting my fingers off in preparation for Christmas.  I tried to keep things simple, but I did end up knitting a hedgehog at the last moment.  It happens.
I also had to finish the mini Groovy ordered up by my youngest.  I loved knitting one for myself in the spring, so it wasn't too hard to agree.  I used one skein of Berroco Weekend DK, and I just knit until I ran out of yarn.  It was so nice to work with, and she loves it.
Now that I have finished the frantically-knitting-for-others phase, my attention is turning to selfish knitting.  Let me tell you what I'm thinking.
I have four skeins of the most beautiful green Harrisvile Highland sitting on the shelf waiting to become Tea With Jam and Bread. I have not yet chosen my contrasting colors, but I'll see what speaks to me when the time comes.  There are plenty of options.
Photo borrowed from Knitty.
I was so excited to see Streymoy in the most recent issue of Knitty.  This cardigan is not for the faint of heart, but it's the kind of garment you would pass down to the next generation.  The designer included so many thoughtful details, it's hard to believe it's a free pattern.  The pattern calls for Cascade Eco Wool and Eco+, a yarn that we love and keep well-stocked.
Photo borrowed from O-Wool site.

There are a few smaller projects percolating in my brain, too.  I have seen several lovely versions of the Garfunkel Hat, and I am so excited to try it out in the Debbie Bliss BFL DK.  We have a great color selection, and I think the texture of the yarn would be great for colorwork.  It's hard to tell, but it looks like there are at least three colors involved here, and I love the double-thick ribbed brim. 
Another Shibui No. 10 is on the list, too.  The sample I knit for the shop is pretty great, and I am a little tired of the glass head getting all the good hats.  We figured out that four skeins will make two hats with a little creative rearranging of colors.

This is what's knocking around in my head.  Now that the new year is almost upon us, what are you all knitting?

No comments:

Post a Comment