close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Monday, January 23, 2012

Fresh Batch from Rowan

Rowan sent us some pretty things last week.  


We have a few cubbies full of the very unusual Rowan Kidsilk Creation. This yarn was a big hit before the holidays, mainly because you can create a scarf in about 20 minutes.  I won't call it knitting, and I won't call it crocheting, but I can call it creating.  Crazy stuff, people.


Our Lima shelves are full again.  Oh my, this is lovely yarn.  It was one of the first chained yarns to hit the market several winters ago, and, being Rowan, it is definitely one of the most luxurious.  At more than 80% alpaca, it is lofty and soft.  And that smokey gray...it is going to go quickly.  We have a beautiful sweater sample knit up in this yarn.


Brea is from Rowan's Lima Collection book.  It is fabulously soft, dense, and so very warm.  I made myself a little Calorimetry with one ball of Lima, and it sees a lot of use.  Jennifer Lang, designer of your favorite A Little Ruffle scarf, has used Lima in several of her lovely designs.  (Her patterns are available through Ravelry and Etsy, and the photos are used with permission.)

Drifted Pearls
Wandering Cowl
Drifted Pearls and the Wandering Cowl (above) each require three balls, and the Jasper Wrap (below) requires only five.  There is a lot of luxury packed into this yarn, making it ideal for gifty items like these.

Jasper Wrap
Felted Tweed DK is one of my favorite yarns from Rowan.


This yarn knits up at a nice light DK or sport gauge, and the knitted fabric is warm but lightweight.  I often turn to this yarn for our knitters who want something a little lighter for layering.

Photo from dear sweet Emily
One of my dear friends used it for the Minimalist Cardigan last winter (her first sweater), and she was thrilled with the results.  I have visions of using it for this amazing cowl/capelet/thing.

Photo from Lamandorla Designs Ravelry Shop
I discovered the Urban Troubadour at some point last winter and fell instantly in love.  (I'll blame the novel I was reading at the time.)  I have four balls of orange Felted Tweed waiting at home for me already, so I just need to decide on the other colors.  There are so many possible color combinations; I am having difficulty.


Speaking of color combos, have you all seen the Ships & Seaside cowl?

Photo from Tiny Owl Knits
This big loop cowl uses Kid Classic, another favorite from Rowan.  We have a nice stock of neutral shades, and plenty of colors to play around with when it comes to the stripes.  We normally stock this pattern at the shop, too, so give us a call if you are interested.

Rowan really knows what they are doing over there.  Come take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment