close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Designer Crush: Amy Christoffers

I have a new designer crush. I am currently a little bit obsessed with Amy Christoffers of Savory Knitting, and it seems like I'm not the only one.

I first found Amy's designs on Ravelry. I had been "favorite-ing" her designs for months without noticing they were all from the same designer. It started with this double-knit hat.


Then her beautiful cardigans caught my eye.

Amy designs with yarns I love to use: Berroco Ultra Alpaca and Ultra Alpaca Light, St-Denis Nordique, Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy, Classic Elite Firefly...

I find that I'm drawn to the clean lines and interesting, tailored details that Amy includes in her designs. Her pieces look like items that I will turn to again and again. I'm working away on the V-Yoke Cardigan from Interweave Knits right now, and I have been impressed with her clear and concise instructions.

Amy focuses on wear-ability when she designs, and she told me that she likes to make things that are "interesting to knit but un-fussy and easy to wear." Her Ravelry pattern selection is all about what she wants to knit and wear right now, and the magazine submissions allow her to design items for a wardrobe that is "a little more elegant."

Amy is in the Spring/Summer 2011 Twist Collective with Clearwing, knit with the Fibre Company Savannah, which we just got in at the shop.

Her designs have also graced the pages of the last four issues of Interweave Knits. The Summer 2011 Knistscene, which we will have in the shop mid-April, features four of Amy's sweaters in a Designer Collection piece. Go take a look; they are really something.

I love finding new designers on Ravelry, and Amy is really doing beautiful work. Let's hope we continue to see more from her soon!

Thanks, Amy, for the use of your beautiful photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment