close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Knitting

I have to admit, I don't often get too jazzed about the spring and summer issues of the knitting magazines. My knitting doesn't really seem to follow the seasons; I tend to knit all year with whatever yarns and patterns inspire me at the time. It also seems like the warm weather issues are just trying a little too hard sometimes, ya' know? Well, I am changing my tune this spring.

The Spring 2011 issue of Interweave Knits has several great designs in some of my favorite yarns.

The En Pointe Pullover is knit with just four skeins of Louet KidLin, and we have several colors at the shop right now. This knitting is perfectly simple stockinette, but the end product is so much more.

The V-Yoke Cardigan by Amy Christoffers uses some really interesting details, and I love the professional-looking result. I can see this becoming a wardrobe staple. (Amy is one of my favorite designers on Ravelry...more on her soon.)

This cardigan is knit with Classic Elite Firefly, perhaps my favorite summer yarn ever. I experimented with it last summer and created our Bias Scarf, and I am looking forward to using it again. We are expecting a batch of Firefly this week in some lovely new colors.

The multi-directional Pinkerton Shawl is another simple knit with a stunning result. The designer discusses options for adding stripes, too. A few skeins of your favorite sock yarns, and you have the prefect shawl.

If you are looking for a bit more of a challenge, the Leaf and Picot Cardigan by Laura Grutzeck (the cover sweater) would also be a really nice layer as the seasons change. Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool would be ideal, and we have such a nice range of colors.

The newest Norah Gaughan Collection, Vol. 8, is really pretty, too. The Schwann tunic on the cover is fabulous, and I love the Nespelem cardigan with the ribbed cable along the front. To see the rest, take a look at the Berroco site.


Oddly enough, we also recently received Rebecca 43, from winter 2010. There are rumors that this will be the last Rebecca translated into English, so if you love those German designs, you might want to grab one.

Sally and I both gasped a little when we saw this military jacket. (There is a longer coat option, too.) We have been brainstorming yarn options, and we decided that Berroco Peruvia Quick, Rowan Sheep Breeds Chunky, and Cascade 128 Superwash would all be just right.

I am longing for this beautiful wrap sweater...perhaps in Rowan Kid Classic?

Several of the designs use GGH Kid Melange, and we are expecting more of that soon, as well. In addition to this cozy tunic, there is a long wrap sweater, a pullover, and a few more.

Do you knit summer sweaters in the warm months? Do you prefer wool all year round? Either way, we have something to keep those fingers busy!

2 comments:

  1. We have very similar tastes in garments! I recently just purchased the Berroco booklet and the Interweave magazine for those very patterns. As soon as I can, I am going to cross the bridge and stop in for some yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marci,
    They are some good ones. You clearly have excellent taste :)
    See you soon!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete