close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Silky Wool has Arrived

Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool has arrived at the shop. This yarn was one of my first loves when I started knitting, and I am very pleased that we are carrying it again.
Silky Wool is a blend of silk and wool (obviously), with a little nylon for strength, but you'll never notice it. It has the slight crunch of silk, which is perfectly balanced with the all of the best qualities of the wool. It is a little bit tweedy, the colors are beautiful, and it knits up nicely in cables, lace, and anything in between.

Several years ago, I used Silky Wool to make Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style. This was actually my initial foray into lace, and it was nice to work with a DK yarn rather than jumping in with laceweight yarn on my first try. The stitch definition of the Silky Wool is very nice, and the lace blocked out perfectly. Plus, how can you not love that color?
This yarn is ideal for very wearable cardigans and pullovers, too. It would be perfect for almost any of the Pipibird designs that I wrote about in April. The very popular Goodale by Cecily Glowik MacDonald would be fabulous in this yarn, and most sizes would take only four skeins. If you are planning a sweater with Silky Wool, I do recommend blocking your swatch, as the silk content of this yarn will cause it to stretch and grow a bit.
If you haven't tried Silky Wool, stop by the shop to check out the samples. I think you'll fall in love, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment