close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sweet Nothings

As the seasons change slowly here in Portland, I am thinking about what I would like to be knitting and wearing in the coming months. With my heavy woolies packed away for the summer, I find myself gravitating to the laceweight mohair and silk yarns at the shop.

Even though these yarns create a warm garment, the finished product is thin enough for summer layering. Also, most of these pieces require just three or four skeins of yarn, so the finished product weighs almost nothing!

Of course, Kidsilk Haze is fabulous for these kinds of sweaters. Veronique (above) from French Girl Knits and Precious from Kim Hargreaves’ Heartfelt collection each use only three balls.

I have my sights set on this simple, perfect hoodie from Rebecca #42, made with only three balls of Kid Melange from GGH.

Sally is working on Petrol from Rebecca #38. The bottom half of the sweater is knit with 2 strands of Kid Melange held together, and the top half uses a single strand.

Sabine is a beautiful wrap cardigan from Cocoknits, and the smaller sizes require only two balls of Filatura Di Crosa Golden Line Superior, which we have in both black and steel gray. The cashmere/silk blend is incredibly soft and would feel perfect wrapped around even the most sensitive shoulders on a cool evening this summer.

Several customers have fallen for Cia, knit up in Louet KidLin. The lace shawl collar adds interest, but would be easy enough for a beginning lace knitter to tackle.

There are so many beautiful options. Now I just have to commit to one. Which is your favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I love Cia, but I think I'd have to change the construction a little. I think I saw that the sleeve borders were sewn on? That would mean I would never finish!

    ReplyDelete