close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Thursday, March 20, 2014

Color Options

The calendar says spring is officially here, and many of us will be on spring break next week.  Let's look at some nice color, shall we?  
First up, Crazy Zauberball.  It's a crazy fingering weight wool with a cool handspun/marled/gradient thing happening.  Great for socks, hats, cowls, shawls...I love it for the September Circle.  I made one of these with Kauni a few years ago, and I can highly recommend the pattern.  It would be a great first lace project if you are looking to dip your toes into that pool. 

For a super-easy option, the Baktus is always a good choice.  The simplest garter stitch triangle will really highlight the cool yarn, on its own or striped with a solid.  You really can't go wrong with a Baktus.  As for sweaters, the wardrobe staple Funky Grandpa cardigan uses the Zauberball for stripes against a solid background.  There are nearly 12,000 projects on Ravelry with this yarn.  That's usually a good sign.

During the yarn crawl, I had several knitters ask about Footlights from Blue Ridge Yarns.  I had not really thought too hard about the possibilities for this pretty stuff, but I started looking after the crawl.
These little bundles contain 400 yards of four coordinating colors of richly-dyed superwash merino sock yarn.  You can use them for shawls, mitts, cowls...any place you might want smallish amounts of colors that will go together.  I've linked to Ravelry projects that caught my eye, but there are so many possibilities.  Blue Ridge Yarns offers a free sock pattern, too.
We currently have Navajo Sunset, Pansies, Apple Rose, and River Rocks.  Sometimes it's the colorway names that get me, and these are good ones.
Finally, we have everyone's favorite shade of Shiraito back in stock for the Soft Waves Hat.  There are several more on the way, but I wanted to make sure you knew this one was on the shelves.
There is some really pretty yarn rolling in for lighter weight knitting.  I am really excited to tell you about the newest yarn from Berroco...more on that soon!

1 comment: