close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Monday, August 26, 2013

I made a hat.


This is Mix No. 10 from Shibui.  It took a minute, with all of that slipping of stitches, but it was worth it.  I love the texture, I love the soft halo, and I especially love the colors.
I used Shibui Cima in Suit, Ivory, Poppy, and Lumen.  Cima is a laceweight, but the yarn is held double for the whole pattern, so it goes a little faster than you might think.  Cima is also one of the softest yarns I have ever used.  Shibui is putting out more Cima patterns, and I am really looking forward to getting them in the shop.  Any excuse to use more Cima.

The pattern calls for a US2 for the ribbing, but I used a US1, based on the suggestions of several Ravelers who have also made this.  The body of the hat is knit on a US3, and I highly recommend a needle with a very smooth join at the cable.  The tiny yarn and the slipped stitches really need it if you are going to have an enjoyable time knitting this.
The hat requires four skeins, obviously, but I have enough left to make another hat.  I need to switch out the Ivory and the Poppy, but I think that will be equally awesome.

You really need to see this hat in person to appreciate the yarn and the texture.  It's at the shop waiting for you to admire it.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love this hat! Will have to give it a try - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete