close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Saturday, June 29, 2013

Decisions

After finishing a few smallish projects in the last month or so, I was sort of reeling.  Normally, I have so many things on the needles, I can just pick up whatever is handy.  I found myself in a situation where the few things that are on the needles involved some serious concentration...picking up neckline stitches, miles of I-cord bind-off (including picking up stitches), and a complete reworking of the upper body of a sweater that I screwed up and need to salvage.  I was without a mindless, meditative project!  And now that I am home with the kiddos for summer "vacation," I was in need of one.

For the first time in a long time, I have had a hard time deciding what to make next.  It's like having Knitter's Block.  Does this ever happen to you all?  I am not lacking for options or inspiration, that's for sure.  I am just feeling a little scattered, so I have had trouble deciding where to go next.  

I decided it was time to trust my color instincts from earlier this spring and cast on for that Colorblocked Royal Alpaca Cowl that I designed in my head.  I don't really have a pattern, just a plan.
So far, I have cast 100 stitches onto a 16" US6.  I used a provisional cast on, so I will graft the ends together when it's long enough.  I'm very happy with what I have so far.

Working with this fabulous color has inspired my next project, the No. 10 hat from Shibui.  I'm going to use Suit, Ivory, Poppy, and Lumen.  The Shibui Cima is held double for the hat, so it will go pretty fast.  Good thing, too, since I'm knitting it as a shop sample.
Perhaps I just needed some color to get me back in the swing of things.  Looks like chartreuse is my color of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment