close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tiny Baby Hat

I made a tiny hat for you. Well, I suppose it's not for you exactly, but perhaps someone you know is having a baby? Perhaps you haven't been able to figure out the perfect gift to knit before that baby shower this weekend? Well, here I come to save the day!

Knit with Classic Elite Sprout, this little hat is pure organic cotton and sized for a brand new baby. It's perfect for our on again off again sunshine and rain, and it takes about 2 hours to knit. While my husband did comment on how my color choice makes the hat resemble a breast, I would argue that this makes it even more perfect for a newborn. If you wish to avoid that, a different color choice would be in order.

The only thing that might scare you off is that the whole thing is knit on double pointed needles. But wait! I have a little trick that makes it easy to get started. Plus, it's tiny, so there really isn't that much to complain about.

So, here's my trick. Knit a row straight before you join the whole thing on the double pointed needles. Then, you have a whole row of established knitting to work with so you can see where everything belongs. I find that this helps prevent twisting and makes it much easier to get started on the double points. Check it out.


First, cast on your stitches with a straight or circular needle.

Second, knit one row without joining.
Third, transfer the stitches from the straight needle to four of the double pointed needles. (Cup of coffee and crayon-enhanced table are optional.)

Finally, join in the round as you normally would.

Ta da! I use this method when I am casting onto double points for sleeves, too. I also like to do it when I am casting on a lot of stitches to help me join without twisting. It leaves you with a tiny one-row seam to close up at your cast on, but you were going to weave that in anyway.

I had hoped to have Dylan model for us, but she is a very busy newborn. As soon as I get my hands on her, though, I will get a photo for you. I made this same hat in Lumpy Bumpy when my baby was born. We have a few skeins of this fabulous wool left at the shop, and we will definitely be getting more in the fall. I promise to remind you of this hat then.

I skipped the i-cord on this version and just pulled the end through. The big fluffy bit of the Lumpy Bumpy just had to be left natural.

Here's the patten for you all. Go crank some out for back-up baby shower gifts!

Close Knit Tiny Baby Hat
by Leah Bandstra

Yarn: 1 skein Classic Elite Sprout (#4385 Dreamsicle)
Needles: US8 double pointed needles, US8 straight or circular needles (optional)

Other: Stitch markers, yarn needle
Finished Size: 13" around, about 5.5” tall
Gauge: 3.5 sts/in in stockinette

Instructions:
Cast on 48 stitches with your straight or circular needle.

Knit 1 row straight (without joining in the round). This extra row makes it MUCH easier to join in the round on the double pointed needles.

Slip stitches to four of your dpns, place marker for the beginning of the round, and join in the round, being careful not to twist.

Purl 1 round.

Knit every round until you have about 3” from the cast on. At some point in here, you should place a marker every 8 stitches. It helps if your beginning-of-the-round marker looks different from the others.

*K to 2 stitches before the marker, K2tog. Repeat this all the way around the round.

K 1 round even.*

Repeat between the *s until you have 2 stitches left between your markers.

K2tog around the round, removing the markers as you come to them. You should have 6 stitches.

K2tog around again, so you have 3 stitches left.

Slide these stitches onto 1 dpn and work a few rounds of I-cord (I did 3). You can skip the i-cord if you don’t want the nipple effect on the top.

K3tog, and pull your yarn through. Weave in your ends, using the tail from your cast on to close up the little seam at the brim of the hat.

Find cute baby and gift hat.

8 comments:

  1. I do that, too, working one row before joining. But I work that row by knitting it on to the double points. Two birds, one stone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is the second baby hat that I have made. The first one was a disaster. (my own fault for being me) This one was so quick and easy. I hope you don't mind that I am going to post about doing it. Thanks for sharing. This is going to now be my "go to" gift for baby showers. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting about it!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to knit this for my sister-in-law's photography business. If I did, would she simply have to give you credit or would it be a more lengthy process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for asking! I designed the hat, and it's pretty darn generic, so I have a hard time making this a lengthy process :) Knit them to your heart's content, and please do give give credit to Leah Bandstra (that's me). If you want to link to the blog somehow, that's great, too. I'd love to see your finished products! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. In other words, would there be a fee? Because I'm ready to jump on that hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for your swift reply! I figured most who write patterns wouldn't mind so long as there is at least mention of them. Free advertising, and all. :P Again very grateful. I will mention your name and she will know what needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete