close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Style Style: Accessories

Are you all familiar with the Interweave Style Series? No? Well, let me tell you a bit about them.

Each book is packed with designs following a theme: scarves, lace, colorwork, bags, and so on. The projects in the books span a wide range of skill levels, yarn weights, techniques, and design styles. There are designs from so many well-known designers, including Veronik Avery, Leigh Radford, Annie Modesitt, Teva Durham, Norah Gaughan, Pam Allen, Ann Budd, Debbie Bliss...the list goes on and on.

Today it's all about accessories.

The first in the series, Scarf Style, was one of the first pattern books I ever purchased. I remember flipping through the pages, falling in love with so many designs and feeling very intimidated by others.

My very first lace project, Ene's Scarf in Silky Wool, came from this book.

Interlocking Balloons, from the amazing Shirley Paden, would be a wonderful gift for the man who shies away from the chunky handknit scarves, especially in the refined Sport Weight from Blue Sky Alpacas.

I adore the Backyard Leaves Scarf from Annie Modesitt. You knit two halves from the center to the tips and then graft them together for a seamless and symmetrical scarf. Perfect with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran or Dream in Color Classy.

The Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole enjoyed quite a bit of popularity a few years ago, and Noro Silk Garden was all the rage for this. While I can appreciate how the entrelac shows off the color changes of Noro, I think this would be equally cool in a solid.

I like this understated little Midwest Moonlight Scarf, too. A lot of Ravelers worked it in Silky Wool for a drapey delicate scarf. Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend would be lovely, too.

One of the best things about scarves and shawls is that you can often fudge the gauge a bit and still end up with something fabulous. This can also be true for bags.

Oh, Bag Style. I would have bought you solely for Laura Irwin's Formal Boot Bag. I love this bag. I made it for myself using Tahki Donegal Tweed, which knits and felts like a dream. In fact, I loved the felted bag so much, I couldn't bring myself to cover it with the bobble and button panel.

There are, however, other lovely bags in the book, too.

Veronik Avery's Zenith Carpet Bag is not for the faint of heart, but look at the professional finished product.

The Two-Tone Triangle Purse is just begging to be embellished with some needle felting.

I really like the use of a tweed yarn for colorwork in the Celtic Weekend Tote. This would be really cool in the Tahki Donegal Tweed or Debbie Bliss Chunky Tweed.

I hadn't really noticed this Chullo Pouch before, but I now I sort of feel compelled to make one. If you don't want to try all the colors, it would be great in a single color of Brown Sheep Burly Spun.

This whole series is good. If you want to make scarves for everyone you know, try your hand at a range of lace techniques, or just get some inspiration, these books are worth a look. They make great gifts for fellow knitters (or yourself). I'll show you some of the beautiful things from the other books next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment