close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Thursday, July 30, 2015

Lakes Yarn and Fiber

We have some of the most beautiful new yarn in the shop, my friends. Sally has been putting a lot of effort into fostering relationships with small-batch hand-dyers in the Northwest. She has found an extremely talented dyer in Ami of Lakes Yarn and Fiber
Based in the mountains of Northern Idaho, Ami raises sheep, dyes yarn, plays outdoors, and works as a nurse. This very busy woman has an eye for subtle, beautiful color, and I am so excited to show you her Loschsa DK (above) and her Silk Single Fingering (below).
The colors are so interesting and rich. The Electric Feel in the silk/merino is incredible (front left in the photo above). It almost changes color from blue to purple as you move it around in the light. And Grasshooper Lochsa DK is stunning. Sally is working on a cowl with it now. The colors are subtle and varied, and the stitches pop like nobody's business.
Ami sent us the sample knit up in the Lochsa DK, It's Brr Time by Suvi Simola. Just one skein makes this awesome hat. See what I mean about the popping stitches? (And I always appreciate a nice ribbing-to-cable transition.)

I am on a mission to stash away a skein of yarn from each of these amazing hand-dyers that Sally has brought in. I suppose I would do well to have some patterns or a plan in mind, but maybe I'll just arrange a few on my desk for inspiration. I can't wait to see what Sally finds for us next!

No comments:

Post a Comment