close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Monday, February 6, 2012

Current Obsession: Merlin

Photo from Kieran Foley of knit/lab
I am currently obsessed with this beautiful thing, Merlin by Kieran Foley.  It looks like feathers!  The pattern is designed as a laceweight shawl, but that's not really my cuppa' tea.  I'm going to use Tosh Merino Light, which is more like a fingering weight than lace.  I think the hand-dyed tones will really play up the naturally blended feathery look that I'm going for.  I've been trying different combinations of the amazing colorways we have in stock.

Mica and Betty Draper's Blues
Saffron and Tart
Glazed Pecan and Well Water
Tart and Charcoal
I like some of these more subtle and natural combinations, too.

Badlands and Antique Lace
Antique Lace and Charcoal

Mr. Foley has a number of really cool lace patterns, all available for sale on Ravelry.  I really like his marriage of colorwork and lace.  The lace charts are clear and easy to read.

Kerchief (photo from knit/lab)


Shetland Ruffles (photo from knit/lab)
Dappled Diamonds (photo from knit/lab)
The pure lace shawls are lovely, too.  Take a look at his shop if you are a lace lover.

I think I'm going to try Antique Lace and Graphite for my Merlin.  There will be a nice contrast, but I think the colors will play well together.  I can't wait to give it a try.  Mostly I can't wait to just have it, but do I need to knit it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment