close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sock Yarn, Sparkles, and Love

I've been holding out on you guys.  I have a crush on a new yarn at the shop, and I can't really bear to see it all go quite yet.


Lana Grossa Lace Lux has got me (more information here).  I know at least a few of you have found it, too.  I've worked with a slightly heavier version of this yarn in the past, and I love how it turned out.  I ended up gifting my Age of Brass and Steam Shawl, and my friend tells me she gets compliments on it all the time.


I am pretty sure a lace weight version would be even more amazing.  I have also been thinking pretty hard about just making a whole sweater out of it, but I'm still on the fence.  One Raveler used three balls to create a really fabulous Citron Shawl (a freebie from Knitty), and I think the Stripe Study Shawl would be so cool and edgy in this...if a garter stitch shawl can look edgy.  What do you think?

I'm normally a rustic sheepy wool kind of gal, but I just can't stop thinking about the Lace Lux.  I suggest using a pattern with a little texture (cables, garter ridges, and the like) because the Lace Lux fuzz fills in and creates a nice shadow and depth in the finished product.  Each ball is more than 300 yards, and we have five colors right now: the beautiful ruby red and gold above and a gorgeous purple, teal, and icy blue. 

 

We have new sparkles, too.  Lana Grossa Alta Moda Sera (more info here) is a chunky chain yarn with some nice sparkle...kind of a heavier version of Berocco Flicker.  One ball should be enough for a little beanie, and two would get you a nice scarf.

The sock wall has seen some love, too.  Cascade Heritage is one of the best sock yarns for your money, and we have a great selection of the solids and paints.




Kollage's brand new Sock-a-licious has also made itself at home on the sock wall.  With 10% silk, it seems like a really nice sock yarn.  I like the colors a lot, too.  Tonal rather than variegated craziness.  I can see wearing the heck out of some pretty gray socks.


Last but not least, our much-loved Cascade 220 Superwash Paints are back.  I love these colors for kid sweaters, hat, and mittens, and I know many of you are already using it for baby blankets.  This stuff goes fast, so beware.


Okay, so I've come clean about my latest obsession.  Please save some yarn for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment